The Residence Palace is one of Europe's most renowned baroque castles and it is registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Palace was built from 1720-1744 and is based on the design by Balthasar Neumann, the famous baroque architect.
Although the city and the palace were severely damaged in the Second World War, the magnificent staircase in the Palace with its self-supporting vault and the brilliant ceiling painting by the Venetian artist Tiepolo were spared.
The lectures during the congress will be given in the Toskana Saal, ornated with a floral design (grotesques ?) and with a view on the famous Palace Garden. The 'Hofgarten' of the Residence Palace was designed to include the Baroque era ramparts and features numerous rococo sculptures and cast iron gates by J. Georg Oegg.
In the cellar of the Palace there are famous wines from the wine region of Franconia. The congress includes a wine tasting which will give you an interesting view of the cellar.
Würzburg, the city
Easy to get to: In the middle of Germany
Würzburg is located near the intersections of several major highways: The Autobahn A3 from Cologne via Würzburg to Munich, the Autobahn A7 from Hannover via Würzburg to Ulm, and the Autobahn A81 from Stuttgart via Würzburg to Heilbronn. Also, every day, Würzburg is served by more than 70 high-speed passenger trains. And it only takes an hour to get to the airports in Frankfurt or Nürnberg. Also the river cruise ships travelling from Rotterdam/Basel to Vienna and Budapest make a stop here.
Würzburg is surrounded by the forests Spessart in the west, Rhön in the north and Steigerwald in the east. It sits on the right side of the Main River. The Alte Mainbrücke is the oldest bridge between the city on the right bank and the so-called Festung and Main-Viertel on the left bank of the river. The old bridge is ornated with 12 baroque statues of saints, which were added around 1730.
The inner city, the Würzburger Altstadt, is characterized by the multitude of its towers, which belong to the very many churches and chapels.